Thursday, March 19, 2009

Public Art Project

Today, I was in my studio for the first time in over 3 months! Boy, it's been a crazy time in my life. But after picking up some of the holiday present mess I left, after dusting things off, and after putting away some treasures I've purchased in these last few months, I was raring to go!

I'm really pleased to share that I drafted the design for my public art project I'm going to reveal in Seattle in a couple of weeks.

I've had this idea for a while to do a public art project. My concept was to create small pieces of art that I would distribute in a geographic area. I wanted to surprise people when they realized that they just found a piece of art. As a double surprise, I wanted it to contain an inspiring message, almost like a great fortune cookie. My idea is that someone randomly would find one of my pieces, be inspired, and take it home. Or give it away.

I'm going to Seattle for business in just a few days now, and I had begun to think I wasn't going to have time to do this project. But getting a prototype drafted is a huge step. Perhaps I won't have as many finished I was hoping, but I do believe I will be taking some with me to Seattle.

I decided this afternoon to skip the anonymous part of my idea. I'm going to put a website and a serial number on each piece of art, and have the web address take people to a specific post on this blog. I hope they will add a comment to the blog post including their art piece number, and a little bit of their story. I'm very excited to get a chance to hear back from people about this project. I had thought about launching a whole website, keeping it anonymous, but I just don't have the time to handle all of that right now. Maybe in the future.

So it's part art project, part sociology experiment, and a whole lot of fun for me. I hope you stick around to see what happens, too.

No comments: