Saturday, July 5, 2008

Project Update: Guitar Hero

I have spent several precious hours tonight in the studio. After a little bit of picking up, I pulled out the Guitar Hero project and continued where I left off. [This is an accordian/exploding book.]I believe I have about 70% of the pictures cut and temporarily attached in their final locations. I have pictures on the front and back, when I had only planned to cover the front. But as I went through the pictures, I found people who were missing from the existing photos, and I wanted to make sure the project documents Kyle's special night. So I expanded to the back.

I used the Tim Holtz distress inks in Scattered Straw, Aged Mahogany, and Milled Lavender, but very little of the lavender. I've inked some tags, some metal rimmed tags, and some cardstock pieces for journaling. I used a combination of round and square stamps on the tags and attached them with eyelets in an old gold color. I used black craft foam cut into strips to raise up some photos so I can add journalling behind some of the pictures. I'm about half way through attaching the photos and embellishing the front.

It's always fun watching a project come together. I was tempted to take some pictures at this phase, but I have learned that at night there isn't enough light in the studio for good pictures. The flash overpowers things. I will have to wait for morning to take photos.

[Note: Here is a picture taken early Sunday morning. The lighting is not great, but it gives you an idea of how the project is falling together. If you look closely, you can see tabs behind some the pictures, and a tag behind one.]

I have researched options for having pictures taken of this project to add to my portfolio. Unfortunately, the photographers I contacted are all quite expensive, so I'm not taking that route. I've decided that I will learn how to set up the lighting and learn how to take the photos myself. I'm sure I will have to invest in some diffusers and lighting equipment. If anyone reading this has already traveled this road, I'd appreciate any tips and suggestions you can offer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

can't wait to see this finished!

Heather Robinson said...

Wow, Charlene. What a delight to discover your blog. Thank you for leaving a lovely comment on mine. Your projects with photography are simply gorgeous!!