Sunday, May 4, 2008

Project: Gibraltar Travel Journal

In my studio time last night, I nearly finished my Gibralter travel journal. This project started from a Rusty Pickle kit in the class taught by Lance (Got Pickle?) Anderson at the Paper Vineyard last month. It had a travel theme, and because a Gibraltar trip was my first really well researched trip, it seemed a likely combination. The kit and the resulting accordian envelope with tags book is adorable, and I haven't strayed from its design. I've just updated it with my photos and ephemera and experimented with some tools and techniques.

Gibraltar Travel Journal - Catalan Bay tagThe Catalan Bay tag fell together nicely and I love this composition. The photo is the Caleta Hotel in Catalan Bay. I filled in the blank spots of the photo with the title and an old postage stamp that includes an image of Catalan bay. I love the way these details pull your eye around the entire tag.

Here are a few of the customized tags. Again, the basic tag features and design come straight from the kit. My apologies for the images. My digital camera died and I haven't replaced it yet. These are scans, and they lack some detail.


View from Cable Car tag
Gibraltar Travel Journal - Landport Tunnel to Spain tag
I used Tim Holtz Distress Inks in Vintage Photo to age this one. It's a fun look, and the photo now matches the vintage look of the journal. I didn't use it on the landscape images because I didn't want to obscure the views.

I'm still working out the technique I'm using for the page titles. I used the same technique in Words To Live By and had better results on plain paper. I'm experimenting with various paper weights and other options.

No comments: